Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fixed On You (Fixed trilogy #1)

FIXED ON YOU BY: LAURELIN PAIGE

(book one in the trilogy: Fixed)


Hmm... Where to start with this one?

This definitely had me reading nonstop; I couldn't put the book down! But that's not to say that the storyline is completely original (but, to be honest, most aren't nowadays). Let's see.Billionaire, handsome, emotionally detached hero with a past? Check. Insecure heroine, with her own past, who finds herself unconsciously falling for the hero? Check. A love that's not going to work because of the protagonist's pasts and the intrusion of family members? Check. Sound somewhat familiar?

Although the story wasn't original, there were aspects to it that were and that's what drew me to this story.


Stalking and restraining orders are a thing of Alayna Wither’s past. With her MBA newly in hand, she has her future figured out—move up at the nightclub she works at and stay away from any guy who might trigger her obsessive love disorder. A perfect plan.

But what Alayna didn’t figure on is Hudson Pierce, the new owner of the nightclub. He’s smart, rich, and gorgeous—the kind of guy Alayna knows to stay away from if she wants to keep her past tendencies in check. Except, Hudson’s fixed his sights on her. He wants her in his bed and makes no secret of it.

Avoiding him isn’t an option after he offers a business proposition she can’t turn down and she’s drawn further into his universe, unable to resist his gravitational pull. When she learns Hudson has a dark history of his own, she realizes too late that she’s fallen for the worst man she could possibly get involved with. Or maybe their less than ideal pasts give them an opportunity to heal each other and finally find the love their lives have been missing. 



I hadn't read a book before where the characters had the same pasts as in this book. Of course there were brutal family members who didn't approve of the arrangement (cough Hudson's mom Sophiathebitch cough), but Alayna has stalker tendencies. When she fall, she falls hard and her paranoia eats at her which is why she becomes obsessive with the guys she dates. Hudson on the other hand, had a very different past. His secret is[ that he manipulates women into falling in love with when he has absolutely no feelings towards them and once the woman has fallen deep for him, he cuts them off and goes on in life without a care as to what happened to the woman. And he's done this many times, especially to Celia, whom he feels extreme guilt for until now. (hide spoiler)] BUT... he doesn't want to hurt Alayna, he wants to move on and be with her; he wants to break his ways.




Their journey begins with a proposition:
"I need you to break up an engagement." 

So their pretend relationship begins. Two people broken by their pasts who don't think they can love freely embark in a fake relationship.

The first 25-30% really was slow for me, not gonna lie. Alayna was way too indecisive and basically gave all power to Hudson. She's basically turn into goo in his hands and if he asked to jump off a bridge, she probably would. Personally, I love when a guy has alpha male characteristics, and Hudson was amazing! His possessiveness and commanding nature was great and he made the story for me; I wouldn't mind myself some Hudson Pierce! But I would've loved to see Alayna stand up for herself more and not be as insecure as she was: A girl with a backbone is actually really hot, let's be honest I know she had problems and all, but she basically let him do anything with her and happily went to his"fuck pad" with him without any protests. A little more backbone would be nice.



Mind you, the story in this book takes place in the span of around 3 weeks.
He sees her. She sees him. They formally meet. (One week gone). 
He propositions. She accepts. They canoodle and start their love affair, fake relationship. (Second week gone). 
She gets paranoid. Secrets come out. They break up, they make up. THE ENDING which I LOVED by the way . And that's a wrap!

Soooo... Although I had some ehh moments, I really did enjoy this one and couldn't put it down. I haven't read much of the alpha/rich guy with the insecure heroine since the Beg series (which didn't cut it for me) and the Crossfire series. So if you just wrapped up Crossfire or FSOG or the Stark Trilogy or anything similar.. I'd say read something else and come back to this in a couple months. But if not, pick this up because the sex scenes are steamy enough to fog up the glass and the ending is really nice; kinda rushed, but nice. BUT HEY, there's a SECOND and THIRD book!!! Which I will definitely be reading! 

Pick it up, you won't regret it!




  

Favorite parts that stuck:
I apologize for overwhelming you. That wasn't my intent. But I want you to know that whether or not you decide to help with my situation, I will continue to seduce you. I'm a man who gets what he wants. And I want you."

"We were both vulnerable now. Two damaged souls spilling our brokenness in a private therapy session. Was this what he had wanted between us? Sharing like this, without judgment, without shame? It was ... nice."

"I wanted to win you. But I didn't want to hurt you."

"That that's what we were feeling. That it was love.
It was. It is.
Hmm. I never felt this before. I didn't know" 


4/5 PIERCING ;) STARS because it was captivating. and I want you Hudson Pierce. Can't wait for the next book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment